[x3d-public] New renderer for my blobs

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 2 04:08:41 PDT 2020

➢ 5.  Model my objects with equations, not faces.

Right, sooner or later you then must turn the equations into pixels.

➢ Oh, let's say performance is not an issue at this point.

Performance is always and issue for realtime, but you may be able to tolerate a long time to produce the frame if you are making videos. I think that happened with raytracing where in the old days it could not be realtime but used it anyway where the purpose was only to produce video frames. But look at the tech now.

One of the most interesting is producing a realistic model of human skin.
There are several layers and photonic reactions and interactions involved in the reflected, refracted, absorbed and transmitted lightwave energy that may need to be visually interpreted by the user.

➢ I’ve heard of the rendering equation.

Luckily lots of that relating to lighting for X3D is in the spec.

If you are looking for a rendering of an eyeball, then look at the humanoid in the medical examples. It only shows the outside surface so plenty of room to add data, like what happens when dealing with streaming fields of photons.
Thanks,
Joe