[x3d-public] Shadows

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 03:55:32 PDT 2020

>From Castle Game Engine / view3dscene side, I can go for "SFfloat
shadowIntensity" with this interpretation too :)

Compared to my earlier proposal "SFBool shadows", the
"shadowIntensity" is obviously more flexible, I can see the
advantages. And with shadow maps, it is easy to support any
intermediate value, e.g. allow 0.5 of the light to reach the surface.

With shadow volumes it's not possible (at least not easily) but then
the implementation can always go with simple Andreas' wording """0
means no shadows, 1 means full shadow.""". We would need to say what
happens for intermediate values in this case, e.g. "if implementation
only supports 0.0 and 1.0, then any value >= 0.5 behaves like 1.0,
otherwise (value < 0.5) behaves like 0.0".

Regards,
Michalis