[x3d-public] description field for all light nodes?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 18:56:02 PDT 2020

I admit I do not see the point of such field on the light source.

Users do not select/interact with light sources directly in the X3D
browser, so there's no need to have some description of them. I would
not know when and where to display it, esp. with DirectionalLight or
future EnvironmentLight.

This is unlike e.g. pointing device sensors, where textual description
makes sense to show some info when the user "hovers" the pointer over
the sensor.

You can make a case that X3D editor would benefit from some
description at the light node, but that is true for *all* X3D nodes :)
And this need can be satisfied by using MetadataXxx nodes, they are
already a general mechanism that can be attached to any X3D node.

Regards,
Michalis