[x3d-public] description field for all light nodes?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 13:34:18 PDT 2020

I am not convinced, I'm afraid. I do not see the use-case in your description.

> Essentially there is no way to tell what lights might be present other than "figuring it out" on small scale.

As a user, I view a scene lit by lights. I am not specifically looking
to find lights, or to find their descriptions.

It is not a purpose of X3D to allow user to "figure out where are the lights".

> Otherwise lights will remain mysterious obscure and unknowable.

That's not true, in my eyes :) Lights are visible, they are nodes in
the scene, have a DEF/USE name. We are only talking about light
descriptions.

> As before, not seeing any downsides to allowing this. "Can't hurt, can help, and consistency is always good."

"not seeing any downsides" is not a good argument to add something to
the specification :) Sure, this field will not hurt anyone. But it
will also be ignored by browsers and authors, if it has no real use.

Regards,
Michalis