[x3d-public] Specification editors mantis issues: PBR review

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Sep 1 10:32:24 PDT 2020

1. Continuing.  We had lots of really interesting discussion today.  8)

Michalis fixed the paragraphs on normal handling for LineSet, IndexedLineSet and PointSet, following points in preceding email.

Since they are repeated, looks like we can refactor them into one mention in the "Concepts 11.2.2. Geometric properties" section above, he will try to do that and we will check changes back into github.

* Wikipedia: Don't Repeat Yourself (the DRY design principle)
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_repeat_yourself

We next meet 9-10 pacific (same time as today) on Friday, following a shortened X3D meeting.  Likely continue next Monday as well, same time.

---

2. in context of Gamma correction, we discussed

- definitions and practice,
- pros/cons/alternatives,
- doing no harm in X3D specification,
- need for further group discussion,
- history (since VRML 97 symposium, over two decades of scrambled dialog and enforced silence so far).

I got to tell my favorite riddle:

Q. What is worse: ignorance or apathy?

    (many many possible answers to this, all good)

A. Actual answer to the riddle:  "I don't know and I don't care."   :0

Position statement: if X3D continues to say nothing about gamma correction, then we either
- don't know what it means, or
- don't care that scene rendering has 2 different allowed results.

Have fun with X3D4 and (cough cough cough) gamma correction!  8)