[x3d-public] Annual ISO SC24 meeting - Web3D Consortium liaison report

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Sep 10 11:36:14 PDT 2020

The Web3D Consortium is a non-profit Standards Development Organization (SDO) that is established to protect and advance multiple specifications including Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics, Humanoid Animation (HAnim) and our original standard, Virtual Reality Modeling Language (VRML).

A key part of how we accomplish and advance these successful endeavors is engagement with the International Standards Organization (ISO).

Attached please find my annual summary report of standardization efforts by Web3D Consortium for International Standards Organization (ISO) Standards Committee (SC) 24.  Dr. Dick Puk and I spent multiple sessions online during a recent 3-week series of meetings.  As acknowledged in the attachment, thanks to many many people who have helped us get to these new levels of capability and promise.

A lot of strategic progress and prospects are packed into this report.  All questions and feedback are welcome.

So... Web3D Membership has value!  The stability and steady growth of these standards leads to many opportunities.  Please consider joining, as an individual or as a business.

* Join the Consortium
    https://www.web3d.org/join

There are many business opportunities emerging thanks to the growing capabilities of X3D4 and HTML5.  Please do not hesitate to contact Web3D Consortium Executive Director or me if the Web3D Consortium or X3D Working Group can help you.

Thanks for considering the possibilities.  Have fun with Web3D Consortium!  8)