[x3d-public] X3D minutes 11 SEP 2020: Web3D 2020 progress & deadlines, plan for corresponding X3D4 specifications

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Sep 11 09:42:14 PDT 2020

Attendees: Vince Marchetti Dick Puk, Don Brutzman.

No member-only information is included in this message.  Member-only links and unofficial planning calendars are included in these public-access minutes.

---

1. Web3D 2020 Conference

a. Papers.  The five program chairs and over 40 reviewers have done a superlative job reviewing 48 paper submissions.

Each paper got 3-4-5 reviews that were very helpful.  A totally impressive effort by the conference program team.

Results: 25 papers accepted, 4 posters accepted, 8 paper submissions invited to resubmit as posters.

Deadline for camera-ready copy is 21 SEP, so many authors are very busy right now!

Congratulations and thanks to all contributors! Can't wait!!  8)

---

b. Conference will be 9-13 November (Monday-Friday in Asia, Americas and Europe).

Thanks to careful committee stewardship and a grant from the Korean government, registration and participation will be... free!

Repeating that last point, Web3D 2020 participation will be... free!  8)

As part of our 25th anniversary, we have a shiny new url that was 25 years in the making... perhaps someone can render this:

[1.1] Web3D Conference
       http://web3d.siggraph.org

All prior url addresses are no longer maintained and should be redirecting properly soon.

All conference contributions are being archived online, emphasizing availability of presentations and videos to encourage feedback.  So contributors will continue to have influence and impact... over the next 25 years as well.  8)

Additional deadlines, with some having a week just added:

* Tutorial and workshop submission: September 19, 2020

* Standards session submission: September 19, 2020

* Industrial use cases submission: September 26, 2020

* Camera-ready paper/poster: September 21, 2020

* Demonstration submission: September 26, 2020

---

c. Of note, past achievements include:

[1.2] Special Issue, Journal of Graphical Models for Web3D 2018
       Edited by Krzysztof Walczak, Gabriel Zachmann, Jakub Flotyński, Kiyoshi Kiyokawa, Daniel Thalmann
       https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/graphical-models/special-issue/1045CQTQSFM

Large-scale distributed semantic augmented reality services – A performance evaluation
     Dariusz Rumiński, Krzysztof Walczak
     January 2020
     Page 101027

Concepts and techniques for web-based visualization and processing of massive 3D point clouds with semantics
     Sören Discher, Rico Richter, Jürgen Döllner
     July 2019
     Page 101036

Service-oriented semantic enrichment of indoor point clouds using octree-based multiview classification
     Vladeta Stojanovic, Matthias Trapp, Rico Richter, Jürgen Döllner
     September 2019
     Page 101039

RELIGHT: A compact and accurate RTI representation for the web
     Federico Ponchio, Massimiliano Corsini, Roberto Scopigno
     September 2019
     Page 101040

Composing customized web 3D animations with semantic queries
     Jakub Flotyński, Krzysztof Walczak, Marcin Krzyszkowski
     January 2020
     Page 101052

Sketching Manipulators for Localized Blendshape Editing
     Ozan Cetinaslan, Verónica Orvalho
     March 2020
     Page 101059

Defeating lag in network-distributed physics simulations
     Loren Peitso, Don Brutzman
     September 2020
     Page 101075

---

d. All papers and posters for Web3D Conference series are published in ACM Digital Library.  We are having major impacts.

[1.3] ACM Digital Libary, Conference WEB3D
       Web3D: 3D technologies for the World Wide Web
       https://dl.acm.org/conference/web3d

Updated figure showing site statistics is attached... wow.  An impressive body of work.

---

2. X3D Language Bindings

The following analysis completely depends on the relationships between all X3D specifications, shown in

[2.0] X3D Specification Relationships diagram
       illustrates how these many specifications relate to each other.
       https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png

[2.1] Re: C/C++/C#---X3DCSAIL; specification and source meeting minutes, 9 September: scheduling milestones
       https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2020-September/013538.html

This email from Wednesday's meeting is an important message deserving everyone's review.

It lays out our projected schedule for updating X3D programming-language bindings and file encodings 2021, intended to directly follow the planned final review and submission of X3D4 by Web3D Consortium to ISO in November-December 2020.

Meanwhile a bridging submission is needed: C/C++/C# language bindings, to match prior ISO deadlines already in place.

Myeong Won Lee, Dick Puk and I are designated as specification editors by ISO/IEC Standards Committee SC24.

We intend to submit these three documents (prepared by Dr. Lee) following group comment.  Two of three are now in github, available to members, with the (similar) C language binding to follow soon.

[2.2] github  (requires member access)
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC19777

We reviewed the timeline spreadsheet that tracks Web3D Consortium reviews.

[2.3] Web3D ISO Specification Development (requires member access)
       https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GdVcjQIid0Hohc_ajmepVOESy2sLtHSVvbvsFni89w8/edit#gid=1641828106

We do need to submit the C/C++/C# Committee Draft (CD) documents to X3D Working Group, Web3D Consortium members and Web3D Board of Directors for consistent review and approval.

So our plan is to get these CD specification documents in front of X3D Working Group in 1-2 weeks, seek public comment, and forward to members & board shortly thereafter.  Once approved, it goes to ISO as CD for X3D version 3.3. (rows 11-13 on spreadsheet)

Once these straightforward document modifications are out the door, we will request an 8-week CD ballot.  Essentially we will have met ISO milestone requirements on these standards.  Our next versions (next spring) will be adjusted to match X3D4, and the goal plan listed in reference [2.1] can then proceed.

Updated plan for update of all specifications to version 4, then submission for Web3D approval and followed by ISO:

2020 DEC, 19775-1 X3D Architecture NWIP/CD

2021 JAN, 19775-2 SAI version 4 NWIP/CD

2021 JAN, 19776-1 XML Encoding  NWIP/CD

2021 JAN, 19776-2 Classic VRML Encoding  NWIP/CD

2021 FEB, 19776-3 Compressed Binary

2021 MAR, 19777-1 Ecmascript (version 6 or latest)
2021 MAR, 19777-2 Java (version 14)

2021 APR, 19777-3/4/5 SAI version 4 for C/C++/C#

2021 MAY, 19777-6 Python

2021 JUN, 19776-4 EXI
2021 JUN, 19776-5 JSON

2021 JUL, TBD, X3D Semantic Web Ontology

We thus expect that the first half of next year will very much be consolidation of X3D4 in every direction.  Many variations on a consistent theme, with X3D4 providing the ability to have 3D anywhere.

All review and feedback on this specifications plan is welcome, thanks for considering the possibilities and interdependencies.

Have fun with X3D4 - again and again and again and...   8)