[x3d-public] wondering about candidate values for Texture mapping specified in material nodes

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 13:12:49 PDT 2020

xxxTextureMapping are not an enumerated value. There is no constrained set
of values you can put there. The authors are free to invent their own
names. As long as they match (that is, the section " 12.2.4 Texture mapping
specified in material nodes" is satisfied) then any value is OK.

We talked about this :) xxxTextureMapping is just a unique identifier.

If we wanted to make a limited set of options, we would instead make
xxxTextureMapping an SFInt32 field.

xxxTextureMapping as a string is similar to glTF attribute names like
TEX_COORD0, TEX_COORD1.

> Dick is wondering if booleans are appropriate as well, perhaps renaming
them (or adding them).

The booleans "xxxTextureEnabled" are not necessary, and would complicate
the specification. Simply leaving the "xxxTexture" = NULL is a clear
information that a texture doesn't exist. There's no point in adding an
additional field to "turn off" a non-NULL texture. Neither glTF or other
formats I know about need an additional "xxxEnabled" boolean.

Regards,
Michalis