[x3d-public] add description fields to all texture nodes

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Sep 14 19:31:56 PDT 2020

On 9/14/2020 5:13 PM, John Carlson wrote:

> Why not just apply metadata?
>
> John

Good question.  Metadata is pretty heavyweight to author and inconsistently used so it won't be serviceable as a common practice.

Having 'description' for external assets and behavior-producing nodes helps an author communicate intent, and helps browsers offer hints to users (via display or audio).

Plus we have 'description' on a number of nodes of this type (e.g. ImageTexture, MovieTexture, others) so this field isn't a new concept for X3D; this change makes it more consistent in X3D.

Plus HTML authors are well used to providing titles for images and other links, so a large body of good practice is already familiar.

Thank John.