[x3d-public] X3D requirements...Door as Anchor

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 15:18:26 PDT 2020

I am thinking of something like what’s on web browsers for integrating the
back button with the 3D scene.

For example, one might implement a Door feature which works like an Anchor
but also adds to the back button stack.

This is for implementing museums of X3D scenes.   On would provide a URL as
an exhibit  to the X3D museum, and people could pop out of the exhibit
easily and return to the exhibit’s entrance.

The goal is to remain in 3D as much as possible, so one can maintain a
spatial return point.

Along with a macro recorder, this could be used for recording presentations
in X3D, which could have a superior user experience.  One would also be
motivated to use an X3D editor instead of something like powerpoint.

I submit this to the UI/UX team.

Thanks to Michaelis’ for his great presentation on view3dscene/CGE, but I
have been thinking about this for a long time.   Without Michaelis’
presentation, I wouldn’t have been motivated to write this up.

One might also think about a Door on a vehicle,  which has a return to
entrance point when you exit the vehicle.

It’s not only important to think about hypertext, but also hypermovie and
hypershape.

I think hypermovie is a YouTube killer/disrupter app, perhaps!   Everyone
wants a better remote control on the youtube app, eh? Or is willing to pay
$.05 to skip an ad?  Or even:  “Don’t show me this ad again, but a
different one is okay!”

Thanks,