[x3d-public] Physically Based Rendering gltf examples in .x3d form

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Sep 29 07:32:28 PDT 2020

With X3D XML Schema and DOCTYPE complete, and X3D Schematron rules addable without too much difficulty, we're ready for next steps.

As part of examples improvements, am hoping to put them in our archives so that regression testing can be performed.

[1] X3D Resources, Example Archives
     https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples

May I suggest that we create an PhysicallyBasedRendering section directory for these at

[2] X3D for Advanced Modeling (X3D4AM) Examples Archive
     https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/

Wondering, where might I find the examples you've shown?  Am looking at

[3] michaliskambi > x3d-tests >
     Include PBR (PhysicalMaterial and related concepts) in the official X3D specification
     https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Include-PBR-%28PhysicalMaterial-and-related-concepts%29-in-the-official-X3D-specification

and then

[4] michaliskambi > x3d-tests > Converting glTF to X3D
     https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Converting-glTF-to-X3D

and then

[5] castle-engine > demo-models > glTF > sample models for Castle Game Engine
     https://github.com/castle-engine/demo-models/tree/master/gltf

Wondering how to establish a baseline.  Might it be possible to use Castle Engine to Inline load each of these gltf examples and save each one of them back out as X3D?

Primary format in the example archives is XML .x3d file encoding, preforming maximum validations, then all other variants are then converted from that in order to check proper X3D representations in X3DOM, X_ITE, ClassicVRML, JSON, EXI, Java, Python, Turtle, and pretty-print HTML documentation.

Looking forward to getting into pair-wise production and publication together.