[x3d-public] Cooperative, Collaborative Games

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 02:34:45 PST 2021

We might need a new model or fundamental communication tools for
international standards so that both for-profit, non-profit, and
government organizations and individuals can work better together.  This
new model or tools seems like a worthy pursuit.  I recently bought a
book on cooperative games,  if anyone wants to read sections out of it
in a group setting, and reflect on how the games can inform our
organizations to achieve effective trust and communication.
https://www.amazon.com/Cooperative-Games-World-Facilitating-Communication-ebook/dp/B06ZZ1YZ9B
If anyone wants to work on cooperative game versions of EGGG, GDL and/or
Ludii, that would be truly awesome! I would be interested in hearing
about Ludii games that are collaborative.

I'm hoping we can use the X3D zoom line for such discussions, or someone
can suggest an appropriate medium. Perhaps this is a revamp of the X3D
networking group?  I need someone who can speak clearly to read the
sections, so probably you want your own copy of the book.

Other books on collaboration and cooperation in games are welcome.  I'm
sitting here thinking that D&D may be an example of a cooperative game,
but I've heard that some sessions fall apart.

https://www.thegamer.com/best-cooperative-multiplayer-rpgs-like-dungeons-dragons/
Xmas present?

How can we extend cooperative gaming beyond D&D?  I had this book when
growing up:
https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-competition-dynamic-players-together/dp/0394836057

I have written a mostly working collaborative mesh editor in Jogamp and
a collaborative solitaire game if people are interested (both in Java).
I'm interested in furthering development of these, and adding people
mid-stream in the protocol, requiring a download of current game state
from a server or other player. Which player?  Especially if the server
doesn't have state, just connections.  Possible download from Game
Master or bot?

I'm not opposed to writing a D&D game, but perhaps we could stretch even
the D&D systems out there with new ideas!

I'm also interested in extending/implementing this paper,
http://coderextreme.net/TurnTaking.html, but i think that Jon Orwant did
a good job on player progression.

I think I lost a spark a long time ago, and I'm just beginning to get it
back!

Please share with interested parties.

I will probably revamp my Discord server to serve as a meeting room, if
no one has a better idea.

Thanks!