[x3d-public] X3D minutes 1 FEB 2021: X3D4 Committee Draft (CD) endgame

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Feb 1 10:05:01 PST 2021

Attendees: Dick Puk, Anita Havele, Don Brutzman.  Meeting inputs: Nicholas Polys.

On 1/30/2021 5:00 PM, Don Brutzman wrote:
> 2. Production Pipeline
>
> - All identified critical issues addressed: done.
>
> - Update online WD3 with "neon green" CSS style for editor resolutions: done.
>
> - Mantis updated correspondingly to match rationale: done.
>
> - All accepted X3D4 changes applied to schema, DTD, X3DUOM, Tooltips, X3DJSAIL, X3DPSAIL, stylesheet converters, and Semantic Web Turtle: done and published.

Confirmed that no further technical work is needed for X3D 4.0 submission.  As a Standards Development Organization (SDO) with an ISO Class A Liaison, Web3D Consortium is further allowed to post formal comments during each phase of ISO balloting by national bodies.  So the X3D Working Group and X3D Community can continue working on X3D4 implementation and evaluation, collecting any necessary changes and ensuring that they are integrated.

> - Final specification editors review Monday 1 FEB 0900: ready, we'll be on regular Web3D zoom channel.

No ISO rules found prohibiting editor comments.

We are ready to finalize documents (zips, online versions, etc.) and submit.

> - TODO Prepare cover letter for formal submission by Web3D Consortium.

I was thinking that this letter will summarize our submission and list the supporting assets noted in paragraph 2 of the following:

* [x3d-public] X3D4 Architecture validation and implementation update, with thanks
   https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2020-December/014302.html

Dick identified a necessary approach: this information should go into the ISO New Work Item Proposal (NWIP).

Dick and I are now preparing this.

> - TODO Pristine copy converted and checked, then will become Committee Draft and get checked into github.

Ballot comment revealed an error in whitespace handling, this will be fixed shortly.

> - TODO WD3 markup showing post-ballot editor resolution changes published on web3d.org

This will be ready in a few days.

> - TODO Submit to SC24 with information copies to INCITS, W3C, Khronos.

We are working to have everything ready for final final scrutiny Friday morning during X3D videoconference, 5 FEB 2021 at 10-1100 pacific.

Together with the forthcoming press release, information copies to our liaison partners are a professional courtesy.  Interestingly ISO documents will be formally routed to the above liaison organizations(eventually).

Suggest Web3D also inform our liaison partners Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC), IEEE 3D Body Processing group, HL7, and DICOM.

Future ISO ballots and technical/editorial comments are either revised or rejected at a future formal ISO/IEC editing meeting.  Accepted results are integrated by the editors (Dick Puk, Don Brutzman) afterwards.  This work is fully informed by X3D Working Group technical review and Mantis issue updates.  This process has been proven to work very well (over multiple decades!) and is certainly great for all of us - every comment comes back and gets reconciled to our benefit and satisfaction.

Onward we go!

> - TODO Great Jubilation Ensues

Anita continues collecting inputs for our Press Release.  We discussed whether Web3D Consortium member testimonials might be included as well.

My family has a new 1m aluminum dish "fire pit" and could have a campfire marshmallow roast on our back patio (capacity 6-8 people) once pandemic restrictions are eventually lifted...  :0

Thanks for so many great efforts getting us to this threshold... Have fun with X3D!  8)