[x3d-public] L.3.1 Re: Annex L HTML authoring guidelines for X3D4; naming Script versus X3DScript

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 09:53:57 PST 2021

Hi Don,

Please feel free to combine or divide these comments as you see fit,
for further consideration.

One comment:

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 1:21 AM Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> Thanks for the many thoughtful insights Andreas.  Really useful.
>
> Dick and I will ponder, and recommend everyone do the same.  All feedback always welcome.
>
> To our great advantage: we are not legislating how current browser software engines work, rather defining long-term guidelines that serve author needs.

Long term (5-10 years ?) guidelines for design and vision purposes are
useful but I do think we need to keep in mind and reference current
browser software behaviour and engineering in order to have some
actual impact on any reader of this appendix in the specification. In
other words, let's also have a short and medium term (1-5 years ?)
target. This would likely require agreeing with and accommodating
behaviour of current browsers.

> Further context: coming up soon now is revision to 19775-2 X3D Scene Access Interface (SAI) as well as corresponding updates to each of the corresponding programming-language binding specification for ECMAScript, Java, Python, etc.
>
> * https://www.web3d.org/standards
>
> So with our "design hats" still on: if there are changes or additions to these APIs that can best support complementary interoperation between X3D and HTML5 across multiple modes, both for browser-based and server-based X3D, then they will be good to consider.

Perhaps an X3D API to receive HTML browser events:

X3DBrowser.addDOMEventListener

modelled after

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/EventTarget/addEventListener

and conversely an API to dispatch out events as HTML DOM events,
similar to addFieldCallback:

https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19777-1/V3.3/Part1/functions.html#t-FieldFunctions

field.DOMEvent

modelled after https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/CustomEvent