[x3d-public] X3D and VRML for multiuser worlds

Christoph Valentin christoph.valentin at gmx.at
Tue Jan 5 05:15:16 PST 2021

Hi Cecile,

Just to explain, why I am asking:

Till now my opinion has been, that the IoT consists mainly of sensors, which are rather lightweight computers/controllers just implementing very simple protocols (MQTT), consuming rather little bandwidth (on the other hand, they are many).

On the other hand, the virtual workspaces / 3D graphic enabled systems are rather high end systems capable of rather sophisticated protocols and causing high bandwidth consumption.

So up to now, my opinion is that the "two worlds" - IoT and 3D Web - cannot be smoothly integrated, there must be some "mediator device" or "gateway" (I call it ITR - Interface to Reality).

Could you comment on that? I am really curious to hear your opinion and the opinion of the community.

Kind regards
Christoph