[x3d-public] X3dToJson.xslt , Saxon-JS 2 (oil and water) which one is at fault?

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jan 6 11:46:35 PST 2021

On 1/6/2021 7:55 AM, John Carlson wrote:

> Indeed, Saxon-JS 2 and X3dToJson.xslt dropped off a ProtoInstance. Should we go back to java, or try to fix the stylesheet, or provide new stylesheets?

In general, with 4000 working examples working via multiple stylesheet conversions, your last three items are rarely needed.  If they are needed, then the fault in question must be completely isolated first.

Hmmm "dropped off a ProtoInstance" ?  Note that a ProtoInstance needs to declare its containerField value, otherwise the (parent node -- child ProtoInstance) relationship is not defined.

* X3D Tooltips, ProtoInstance
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/tooltips/X3dTooltips.html#ProtoInstance
"Warning: be sure to correctly set the containerField value to match the intended field in the parent node."

which also includes the following links:

* Hint: X3D Scene Authoring Hints, Inlines and Prototypes
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dSceneAuthoringHints.html#InlinesPrototypes

* Hint: X3D Architecture 4.4.4 Prototype semantics,
   https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/Part01/concepts.html#PROTOdefinitionsemantics

* Examples: X3D Example Archives, X3D for Web Authors, Chapter 14 Prototypes
   https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForWebAuthors/Chapter14Prototypes

Checking your original .x3d XML models in X3D Validator is a good way to isolate such errors in content.

* X3D Validator
   https://savage.nps.edu/X3dValidator

Good luck with further sleuthing and problem isolation.