[x3d-public] The future 3D entertainment market -- Interactive Video????

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 20:22:31 PST 2021

So far, the 3D market seems to be pay $60+ for a game, and you get to play
around in a game world.   I believe the next stage beyond a game world, is
a multigame world, or game planet run by a dev company, with portals
between games on the planet.  Obviously, this is a lot like Second Life,
but focused on more realistic graphics, perhaps.   It's also like OpenSim.
 The key is to leverage dev companies
existing legacy games, and add just a few things to hook to link it all
together.
Something like Stadia or Microsoft's offering's could springboard this.
There would be limited downloads, except for interactive video, unlike
Steam or existing console offerings.

So the key would be getting dev companies at first to integrate their games
on the new offering's servers.  I think all that's necessary to implement
this is the X3D anchor for the rest.  The user would activate an anchor,
and be transported to a new game in the same dev company, without having to
wait for a multi-gigabyte download.

The next step beyond that would be a portal between planets, or between
game dev companies.  There would then be the opportunity for ad revenue, as
people could "sell" portals or anchors between game planets.  Sorry, Steam,
for taking your cheese!

So the key, I think the key is MPEG-4/X3D, where Stadia and Microsoft would
use X3D Anchors in MPEG-4 as portals.

So how does the little guy get in on this?  Would there be the equivalent
of Wordpress and Drupal planets?  I think so.  I think that Web3D should
focus on the needs of the small companies, not only for 3D games, but for
3D worlds.  So the question is, how does Web3D approach Stadia and
Microsoft to be the Wordpress/Drupal on their platforms?

I don't think the $60+ games will disappear.

Think of it as streaming Minecraft with anchors to other games.   Minecraft
can serve as the "work" world where you have to craft & build stuff or mine
to make money to buy keys to portals

I don't think I'm the only one with this vision. If you could get big video
networks into play with "news worlds," "movie worlds," "TV worlds," etc.
I'm thinking about what my next Roku device or SmartTV should do, download
controls as a "channel" for example, to browse through a dev house's
offerings.

Who's going to be the Interactive Video Netflix?  It would seem like
server-side rendered games will be the future?

Will ultrafast networks fix this?   Are they already in place?

Are we getting any closer to immersive games?