[x3d-public] How to enable https/http images/textures in view3dscene on Kubuntu Groovy Gorilla?--Warnings attached.

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 06:43:25 PST 2021

It is best to report issues to view3dscene (public, everyone can watch the
repo) bugtracker: https://github.com/castle-engine/view3dscene/issues .
This way they will not get lost. We also have forum (
https://forum.castle-engine.io/ ) and Discord (
https://castle-engine.io/talk.php ) for talking specifically about CGE and
view3dscene. It's cool to talk about it here on x3d-public of course too,
but you reach different people :) Here you reach people working with X3D,
there you reach people using CGE/view3dscene (and not always focused on X3D
standard).

By default downloading from http/https is disabled in view3dscene, because
it is done synchronously for now. That is, if you enable it and we
encounter a http/https URL -- you just have to wait for it to download,
there's no cancel button or even a proper progress.

Asynchronous downloading is of course possible in CGE (we have
TCastleDownload class, quite like Unity Www), but it is just not yet used
for loading assets in X3D textures etc. (Because in many games, you *can*
and thus *want* to load everything before showing it to player, instead of
not a priority in CGE.)

To enable the synchronous downloading, just check "File -> Preferences ->
Download Resources From Network".

To have the base URL properly defined, you should also open by passing to
view3dscene the URL of the original file (if you open a temporary file
downloaded to disk, view3dscene cannot know the base URL). To do this, pass
the URL on the view3dscene command-line, or use "File -> Open URL..." (Ctrl
+ L), you can paste there link by Ctrl + V.

Opening
https://coderextreme.net/X3DJSONLD/src/main/data/KoreanCharacter01Jin.x3d
by this works fine here, with textures -- see screenshot :)

Regards,
Michalis