[x3d-public] No Pascal JavaScript interpreter?

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 06:52:00 PST 2021

Right now, the primary language to operate on X3D scenes, and
everything else in CGE, is just Pascal. I.e. we encourage developers
to just use Pascal API to operate on X3D nodes. Like :

- https://castle-engine.io/manual_scene.php#section_building_and_editing
- https://castle-engine.io/x3d_implementation_geometry3d.php#section_example_pascal_rect
- https://castle-engine.io/x3d_implementation_geometry2d.php#section_example_pascal

The whole CGE manual and API docs and all examples document this approach.

If you need a scripting language (interpreted and running in sandbox)
we do not have much to offer for now.

- Indeed we have CastleScript, which is the only way to currently
write embed scripts *inside* X3D models in CGE/view3dscene. It is not
much maintained though, it was never intended to grow into a full
scripting language.

- We plan to support JavaScript one day. Using BESEN (
http://besen.sourceforge.net/ ) or QuickJS (
https://castle-engine.io/wp/2020/04/02/castle-game-engine-integration-with-quickjs-javascript/
). No deadline for it yet, though (and it is after CGE 7.0 release).

Regards,
Michalis