[x3d-public] Specification editors meeting: 3 mantis issue corrections, 2 issues for review

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 03:49:07 PDT 2021

Don,

I would not really go into saying in spec: "SFMatrix3xxx" is for 2D
transformations, and "SFMatrix4xxx" is for 3D transformations, because
the reality is more complex :)

- 2D matrix can be used to express 2D rotation and scaling (but not
translation).
- 3D matrix can be used to express all 2D transformations (including
rotation, scale, translation). Or it can be used for 3D rotation and
scaling (but not translation), which is useful e.g. to transform
normal or tangent vectors.
- 4D matrix can be used to express all 3D transformations (including
rotation, scale, translation) thanks to using homogeneous coordinates
to express 3D points/directions as 4D vectors.

This is a large topic, and basically touches "how to use matrix and
vectors for 2D and 3D graphics" :)

Regards,
Michalis