[x3d-public] Formulas of flowers and leaves

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 18:52:55 PDT 2021

I don't know how to draw leaves.  I would look up how to draw a maple
leaf or fern with fractals (Michael Barnsley comes to mind). It might be
easier to start off with a bunch of images/pictures. The way they do
movies these days is project the background onto a wall, then the actors
act in front of it. Why fake nature when you can sample the real thing?

I used surfaces for 3D "roses" in college a bit, with Newton's method. I
haven't done it recently, because I proved to myself that internal
intersections weren't found.

Mostly I use quadrilaterals or triangles to draw things.  I did Maurer
Roses in 1981-1982 on Apple II+ before "Maurer" existed. You can find
formulas in old or new CRC Math books, perhaps. I used the 25th version
or older.  The book has been updated, and I can't find the same thing in
the online version.

This might be an unorganized introduction (warning, some Perl required):

https://coderextreme.net/orbit/

But they aren't "roses" per se.   For more unrealistic things
(animation), look at:

https://coderextreme.net/flower/

I would search through SIGGRAPH conference proceedings in hope of
getting something realistic.

I am not your "curve" person. For 3D you're looking for someone who
knows bicubics or NURBS, but really they pretty much get split up into
triangles by the graphics card or CPU, so knowing about triangle sets
and triangle fans are probably useful.  What I do is take a tessellated
sphere from Blender or a grid IFS from X3D and offset the position to
make the "rose" surface, and ensure you've got enough resolution so the
result doesn't look crappy. Also, some work was done on the mailing list
with FX3D/FVRML way back in the distant past.  That would help fit your
formulas into an X3D mindset.   At this point, if you want to animate
the surface, I think your best bet is to go with something like GLSL.

I don't know about volumes at all, just surfaces.  I've only rendered up
to 7 animated "roses" at a time--it's easy to add more, but I get
concerned about heat, etc.

Here's a sample of something you might get if you use PHP to draw things:

https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/rendering-text-and-basic-shapes-using-gd--cms-31767

If you really want better 2D flowers, I highly recommend contacting
@sxywu on Twitter.  She may be working on 3D as well.

"Curves" indicates you're using 2D?  There's Processing.JS for JavaScript.

So start small, with 2D vector/SVG drawing (see @sxywu), use polar
coordinates in an equation like

r = 100+100*cos(2*phi)

You have to figure out how to convert to Cartesian coordinates, but
that's easy to find.   Break the curve into a series of lines by
stepping through values of phi in a loop.  Make the delta phi small enough.

I hope you know what a loop is.

I'm pretty much at the point where I want to draw fractal "roses."

John Carlson