[x3d-public] 20 more years to go

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 14:59:11 PDT 2021

My wife had told me I had to live 20 more years.   So I'll have a lot
more time to spend on X3D.

Here are my goals for X3D:

1.  Chromatic Dispersion (PBR next).

2.  Declarative bounded random numbers, perhaps through Emitter or
Interpolator

3.  Standardization of SAI scripting across languages, probably by
allowing scripts outside the X3D tag (EAI?)

     a.   SAI generation from X3DUOM

     b.   SAI generation creation by non-XSLT experts.

     c.   Conversions from JSON to various SAI programs (I'm thinking
C/C++/C# here), perhaps through DOM

         I. Pursuit of JSON -> Foo using xslt 3.0 for XSLT experts.

4.  Declarative transformations of declarative code (XML, VRML and JSON)
via a 3D-4D graphical user interface.

5.  Creating X3D documents by signing or signwriting (or dancing,
movement, etc.).  Has anyone used Leap Motion or Kinect on Linux?

Here are some non-starters:

1.  Me creating a JavaScript SAI library independent of rendering.
There's no need to compete with X3DOM or X_ITE. Indeed, we should team
with them. If you think there is a need to compete, state your
requirements.  I have not seen any requirements.  Beyond what
Node.js+X3DJSAIL can do.  I can show you many demonstrations of
Node.js+X3DJSAIL working together.

2.  Getting me to program XSL.  I'd do rather some kind of graphical
thing with X3D-Edit or the Web (see 4 above), using the lessons learned
from XSL and my papers.

3.  Getting me to program Python or Pascal. Java/JavaScript/C/C++/Perl
is preferred. Perl is deprecated, except to parse standards documents.
Python is deprecated, except to parse X3DUOM.

4.  Convincing me that text is "graphical" or "visualization"--it's
symbolic.  I am tired of Visual Basic programmers on comp.lang.visual.
If you insist, I will resort to images, pictures, film, video,
sculpture, shapes and volumes.