[x3d-public] Mantis issue resolution request

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 15:51:05 PDT 2021

Not (yet) :)

I proposed there a change:

The default "TextureProperties.magnificationFilter" and
"TextureProperties.minificationFilter" values should change. Right now they
are "FASTEST" by default, they should be "DEFAULT" by default (which means
"use browser default" and is actually sensible in all browsers).

Reason:

Right now, adding a TextureProperties to a texture node is a little trap:
you need to remember to *almost always* set
TextureProperties.magnificationFilter and
TextureProperties.minificationFilter. Otherwise, they are by default
"FASTEST", which means "nearest" or "closest",and there's a high chance
that you degraded your texture quality by accident.

All sensible modern 3D viewers (X3D browsers and everything else) use by
default bilinear or trilinear (with automatic mipmaps) filtering, and that
is good.

E.g.

- you want to set anisotropic filtering
- so you add TextureProperties to the texture node, which is the only way
to get anisotropic filtering in X3D
- and you fill TextureProperties.anisotropicDegree, leaving the rest of
TextureProperties at default values

Effect? Yes, you set anisotropic filtering, but you also accidentally made
your texture use "FASTEST" (aka nearest, closest) filtering.

Regards,
Michalis

wt., 27 lip 2021 o 20:27 Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) <brutzman at nps.edu>