[x3d-public] STL rendering on GitHub; diffing and next steps for X3D

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Jun 6 11:09:25 PDT 2021

Thanks John and Cecile.  The pages say that Three.js is used to power these presentations.

Gitlab also has built-in STL rendering for checked-in models.  A lot of these things are around.

* https://github.com/topics/stl-viewer

* https://www.viewstl.com

It would be great to adapt X_ITE and/or X3DOM in the same manner for X3D files.

Found this interesting capability for diffs (differences) on the github stl docs page:

* https://docs.github.com/en/github/managing-files-in-a-repository/working-with-non-code-files/3d-file-viewer#diffs

* https://docs.github.com/assets/images/help/repository/stl_wireframe.png

Diffs
When looking at a commit or set of changes which includes an STL file, you'll be able to see a before and after diff of the file.

By default, you'll get a view where everything unchanged is in wireframe. Additions are colored in green, and removed parts are colored in red.

You can also select the Revision Slider option, which lets you use a slider at the top of the file to transition between the current and previous revisions.

Diffing is very important for change management, quality assurance (QA), Continuous Integration Continuous Development (CI/CD), DevSecOps and Digital Twin application domains.

Continuing below:

On 6/3/2021 2:01 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> Docs:
>
> https://docs.github.com/en/github/managing-files-in-a-repository/working-with-non-code-files/3d-file-viewer
>
> On 6/3/21 2:45 PM, John Carlson wrote:
>> https://github.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/blob/master/src/main/stl/UavBeehive.stl

student original-design model created using blender follows.  As ever, note how STL is unable to include metadata.

* https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/AdditiveManufacturing/UavBeehiveIndex.html

* https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/AdditiveManufacturing/UavBeehiveBlenderScreenshot.png

* https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/AdditiveManufacturing/UavBeehive.blend

* https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/AdditiveManufacturing/UavBeehive.stl

> It seems like the "big guys" are finally paying attention to 3D models on the web!
>
> John

I hope us "little people" can

a. document good geometry design correspondences between STL and X3D IndexedFaceSet,
b. write X3dToStl.xslt conversion stylesheet,
c. add STL export/import as direct capability in X3D-Edit,
d. document workflow between X3D and STL, then
e. do the same for PLY format (conceptually quite similar),
f. allow STL loading as Shape geometry in X3D4 specification,
g. tackle geometric diffing for X3D models (we already have text-diff and viewpoint capture-as-image-image-diff capabilities).