[x3d-public] X3D meeting agenda Friday 11 June 2021: progress, planning, defining RigidBodyCollection maxCorrectionSpeed

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jun 11 10:20:23 PDT 2021

We had a regular weekly meeting Friday 11 June 2021 at regular time 09-1000 pacific.

Attendees: John Carlson, Anita Havele, Vince Marchetti, Nicholas Polys, Don Brutzman.

We welcome back Anita following extended travel abroad.  Very glad everyone is safe and OK.

---

Topics:

1. Specification progress and process confirmation

We are reviewing and finalizing a large number of X3D4 Architecture Mantis editorial comments at best speed.

We invite Myeong Won Lee to submit Committee Draft (CD) text for C, C++, C# bindings corresponding to 19775-2 SAI X3D 3.3.

We also ask that she share her implementation (publicly or privately) so that we can consider how to best attract a second implementation of each.

---

2. Implementation progress

Much work and activity implementing X3D4, tracking on mailing list.

Nearly complete demonstrating that the 'id' attribute can co-exist with 'class' and 'style' attributes as optionally available for X3D models that are intended for possible use together with HTML5, in accordance with Annex L of X3D Architecture.  Some cosmetic errata were uncovered in passing (so this was worthwhile) but no naming deconfliction was needed in X3DUOM.  No required functionality is associated with this feature.  Likely resolution is adding 'id' as a reserved word, allowing all three attributes to coexist but not requiring anything but requesting tolerance by various language bindings and file encodings.  Since HTML5 support is defined but not required, we are pursuing the same approach for these three attributes.

Major improvement: X3D Validator is back and running.  Also this functionality is fully embedded in X3D-Edit (checkmark button).  Latest version includes checking of uppercase/lowercase spelling for all X3D4 nodes and fields.

Several side discussions: viability of X3D-Edit might become a helpful enabling tool for Web3D User Experience (Web3DUX) efforts.

---

3.  Planning.

Keep working hard!  8)

Web3D is a member of US National Standards Body INCITS H3.  There is a quarterly teleconference upcoming Friday 18 June, 1300-1500 Eastern time.  Dick Puk and Nicholas Polys planning to attend.

We are planning and preparing so that the SPIDERS3D implementation for Web-based X3D visualization might be demonstrated at SIGGRAPH "Carto" Cartographic Birds of a Feather (BOF).  Exciting progress expected!

* https://blog.siggraph.org/tag/carto-bof

---

4.  Any problems to discuss?

We reviewed suggested resolution to a long-standing specification omission:

===============================
[2.0]    [x3d-public] defining maxCorrectionSpeed in X3D RigidBodyCollection node
          http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2021-June/015283.html

[2.1]    Mantis issue 407.
          https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=407

[2.3]    X3D4 Architecture, 37.4.11 RigidBodyCollection
          https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD/Part01/components/rigidBodyPhysics.html#RigidBodyCollection

Suggested definition:

"The /maxCorrectionSpeed/ field limits the amount of /errorCorrection/ that can be applied using an absolute value of speed.  A value of -1 indicates that no speed limitation exists, while a value of 0 indicates that no corrections are allowed."

No negatives noted, seems sensible, we will apply to specification in future revision.  All discussion always welcome.

---

Have fun with X3D!  8)