[x3d-public] Blender X3D exporter: what to do, how to do it

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 23 10:36:21 PDT 2021

• Support animation by interpolating object transformation (translation, rotation, scale).

What is the underlying method for animation? Does Blender use interpolation or is every frame a keylframe

• Support animation by skinning. Using H-Anim for this is the best we have now in X3D (despite the fact that you will call a "humanoid" things that are really just "any mesh under skinning").

For hanim we need joint to skin vertx bindings and weights. How does Blender accomplish ‘skin’ animation driven be joint rotation?

A fallback method that just exports key poses using CoordinateInterpolator may also be sensible, depending on how easy it is.

Trying to animate skin using coordinate interpolator(s) is entirely different than hanim and basically useless for hanim because this has nothing to do with skeleton Joint driven animations. The only use of this is when the author just drags a shape around to get keyframes for an interpolator, which is fine for some stuff, but not emulating hanim level 1 joint-driven animations or level 2 skin animation.

Does Blender use anything like the hanimdisplacer?

Unless we can retrieve a reasonable skeleton that is activated by joint rotations (level 1) and the skin bindings (level 2) it is not hanim and so no reason to even try to call it hanim export. .

Thanks,
Joe