[x3d-public] improved whitespace handling for CD text of X3D4 Architecture, now called 'CD1'

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Jun 24 14:42:16 PDT 2021

We had a problem with document whitespace in the X3D4 architecture, which now appears resolved - details follow.

Request others please check the improved baseline.  We will begin applying the next round of editorial Mantis issues next week.

I think that the whitespace issues are now properly handled for the conversion of marked-up Working Draft 3 (WD3) to Committee Draft (CD).

You can see whitespace errors sprinkled throughout the previous CD circulated as part of the NP ballot, mostly as incorrect indenting in field signatures (between <pre> elements).  Other subtle source issues fixed as well.

An example for this whitespace correction is documented in our issue tracker at at

* Mantis 1357: incorrectly formatted fields for 12.4.2 Appearance
   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1357

I've checked Shape component closely - now better formatted, with no loss of prose.  Spot checked other pages, which seem OK.

Everything is separate in version control so there is no chance of loss.

Am currently calling the refined version CD1 to distinguish the cleaned-up-whitespace version from prior balloted CD (which turned out to be not an official ISO CD after all).  That avoids any renaming complications as well.

Updated addresses:

* https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1

* https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1.zip

* https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC19775/ISO-IEC19775-1/ISO-IEC19775-1v4.0/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1

Please let me know what you think.  I believe this version has equivalent prose compared to our prior release, and so can be shared/used.  TIA.

Have fun with X3D4!  8)