[x3d-public] Minutes of JavaScript/JSON meeting 28 July 2021

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Jun 29 08:05:35 PDT 2021

Thanks for concise minutes John, and your patience while I connected from high-background-noise environment of SFO baggage claim.

Agreed that JSON diff will be important for us to pursue as we work to achieve correct/consistent/repeatable X3D JSON schema validation.

On 6/28/2021 3:11 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> [...]
> Somewhat useful tools for comparing output, but  there are online tools as well:
>
> X3DJSONLD/src/main/node/xmldiff.js
> X3DJSONLD/src/main/node/jsondiff.js

When I searched online, just about everything I found was based on invocation online via web browsers.  This won't work for our build processes.

For example, there is a json-diff project that has colorized text output, not sure if that is useful for console logs.

* https://www.npmjs.com/package/json-diff

Found another written in python:

* https://pypi.org/project/json-diff/

Found this helpful reference which lists 2 Java-based tools, zjsonpatch and fge json-patch

* https://softwarerecs.stackexchange.com/questions/17812/java-library-that-diffs-json-and-generates-what-was-added-deleted-modified

Recommendation was zjsonpatch which looks mature and last released a year ago.  It refers to a standard for such diffing:

* RFC 6902, JavaScript Object Notation (JSON) Patch
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6902

Am hoping to keep prerequisites our giant suite of Quality Assurance (QA) tools as simple as possible, thus using Java with Ant repeatably has greatest utility.  Maintaining logs of outputs is further useful because then version-control diffs of console output can tell us when something slips sideways.