[x3d-public] X3D minutes 5, and 12 March 2012: outreach activity, HAnim, metadata explorations, X3D Ontology, glTF examples

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:38:32 PDT 2021

Don,

As I understand, the proposed change here would say "if there are no
double-quotes (expressed in any way) at the beginning and end of
MFString attribute content, then parse it as a SFString (since
otherwise it would be just invalid MFString)".

1. First of all, this is mostly independent to my proposals on
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Clarify-the-usage-of-quotes-and-backslashes-for-MFString-and-SFString-in-XML-encoding
. My point is to clarify the current X3D XML text about how to parse
SFString and MFString (
https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-1/V3.3/Part01/EncodingOfFields.html#SFString
)). Clarify it, and also document actual behavior that X3D browsers
already do in practice.

    We've had a number of discussions on x3d-public where it was
apparent that even people closely working with X3D are sometimes
surprised by how SFString and MFString parsing works in X3D XML
:),e.g. how backslashes work. I believe it is because the current X3D
XML spec is a little *too* terse. It doesn't discuss, or show
examples, of some difficult situations.

    So, whatever we do -- we don't really disagree in our main goals
:) My main goal is to clarify the X3D XML spec. I do not really want
to make any changes to what existing browsers actually do.

2. As for the rule you propose (that one can omit double-quotes around
MFString content, when MFString has only one item):

I recall we talked about this. I still do not think above rule is a
good idea (although it's a "soft disagree", not "strong disagree"). My
reasons:

- This is an "exception to the rule", which in general is a sign to
not do something.

- It complicates and already-complicated rules of X3D XML spec about MFString.

- Treatment of backslashes will suddenly change, depending on whether
you used double-quotes or not, because treatment of backslashes
differs between SFString and MFString (and it has to, as we discussed
and I documented on
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Clarify-the-usage-of-quotes-and-backslashes-for-MFString-and-SFString-in-XML-encoding
).

I do not think comparing it with classic VRML syntax is valid. In the
classic VRML syntax, the rules are more consistent for SFString and
MFString parsing. For better or worse, SFString and MFString parsing
is already more different in X3D XML syntax, it has to be.

That being said, it's not a "strong disagreement". If such rule would
be clearly explained in the spec (in particular explaining what it
means for backslashes) I can "live wit it" :)

Regards,
Michalis