[x3d-public] [x3dom-users] bboxDisplay considerations; metadata nodes for new field extensions

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 14:07:53 PDT 2023

Re: Subdivision metadata in addition to bboxDisplay

Don, all,

I agree on metadata extension handling for bbox.  Perhaps our second step
might be adding “subdivision/subdivisions” metadata extensions to Sphere,
and later, once the idea is proven, to other shapes.   This subject has
already been discussed and rejected as an attribute, ad naseum, so indeed,
this would remain metadata indefinitely.   This new approach has the
advantage of making “subdivision” validation possible, and let browsers
adopt it as desired.

The problem is “subdivision(s)” is already an attribute in X3DOM.  There
are also different global quality parameters, especially in X_ITE.  Having
a unified, XML-based approach would be terrific.

Another alternative is using NURBS/IFS.  These may have issues with seams
and performance.  Positions would be offset radially.  Ideally, we’d doing
position offsets in shaders, if nowhere else.   We could use sphere meshes
in X3D code, that is very doable, but bloat.   Possibly use glb?

Note that I’ve successfully generated a sphere mesh in Blender an imported
the mesh into a PlayCanvas and applied shaders, so I’m fully cognizant that
this is doable on the web:
https://playcanv.as/p/wQgQBgkE/. I have not achieved similar quality with
X3D (challenge?)

Note that the sphere mesh will be animated, and perhaps we can created
standardized animations, like squash and stretch?

John