[x3d-public] X3D working group minutes 14 April 2013: Web3D X3D4 specification/validation releases, future specification sequence planning, conferences

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sun Apr 16 20:48:56 PDT 2023

Attendees:  Anita Havele, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman

0.	Participation.  The X3D Working Group meets weekly on Fridays
09-1000 Pacific on Web3D Consortium zoom channel.  Telcon information:

*
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
*	https://zoom.us/j/148206572  Password 483805
*	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

1.	X3D 2023 goals.  Our primary activities for X3D Working Group in
2023 are focused on broad and correct deployment.

a.	Encourage consistent rendering, interaction and usage for the many
tremendous capabilities in X3D4.
b.	Update ISO specifications and implementations for multiple
programming languages and file encodings to match X3D4.

2.	X3D4 Specification Document final version submitted to ISO

The final Web3D version to use is

*	Extensible 3D (X3D) version 4, Part 1: Architecture and base
components, ISO/IEC 19775-1:2023
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-IS.proof
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-IS.proof.We
b3D.zip

with updated links online:

*	https://www.web3d.org/x3d4
*	https://www.web3d.org/x3d4-highlights

3.	Mantis Issues Cleared, X3D Validation Updates Available

Am happy to report that all X3D4 mantis issues have been resolved, with
summaries for the last 2 issues following.  Remaining issues are deferred as
future work for X3D 4.1.

*	Mantis Issue Tracker, View Issues (Web3D member access)
*	https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

Final key changes follow.  From the schema and DTD changelog:

https://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-schema-changelog.txt

30 MAR 2023, brutzman, puk

- (4.0) Mantis 1435, fixed duration field DynamicsCompressor attack: SFTime

  vice SFFloat

- (4.0) Mantis 1410, included IndexedLineSet as one of numerous possible
nodes

  for HAnimHumanoid skin

Updated to final versions:

*	X3D Specifications: Schema and DOCTYPE Validation
*	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/

*	x3d-4.0.xsd XML Schema
*	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-4.0.xsd
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSchemaDocumentation4.0/x3d-4.0.html

*	x3d-4.0.dtd XML DOCTYPE
*	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/x3d-4.0.dtd
*	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dDoctypeDocumentation4.0.html

*	Extensible 3D (X3D) Tooltips
*	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/X3dTooltips.html

4.	Planning Future X3D specification work

We carefully considered next steps in our specification strategy.  Relevant
document relationships are illustrated at

*	X3D Graphics Standards Relationships
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dGraphicsStandardsRelationships.png

The great majority of this work is already well defined, applying updates
corresponding to X3D 4.0 architecture and applying Mantis issues that we
have collected all along.

a.	Finish ISO process for X3D 4.0 Architecture, 19775-1

b.	Create CD-quality document for version 4.0 revising X3D SAI, 19775-2
then submit NWIP to ISO as Working Draft (WD)

https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-2/V3.3

c.	Formalize a specification to create CD draft for new specification
X3DUOM, 19775-3.  We are thinking that this does not belong as part of
19775-2, they are different.  Such as new specification is preferred and
does have to be particularly lengthy.

https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DUOM.html

d.	File encodings for 19776 series, first updating ClassicVRML and XML
encodings to version 4.  Add JSON encoding.  Decide if Semantic Web encoding
for Turtle is part of a separate encoding (or part of XML encoding).

e.	Update Compressed Binary Encoding, either spinoff or integrate EXI
as part of this document, also figure out our changed geometric compression
landscape (for example simply using glb binary).

f.	Language bindings 19777 series first for JavaScript and Java
updates, then add Python.  Then update current versions C C++ C# if version
3.3 implementations are finally stable/working/interoperable (compilation
via ANSI standard compilers makes sense).

5.	SIGGRAPH 2023 and Web3D 2023 conference planning updates

Web3D Communications Team has been doing good planning.  Brief discussion on
dates, times, participation and plans.

We expect to have two Birds of a Feather (BoF) sessions at SIGGRAPH: one on
X3D4, and one on the now-forming exploratory group for Metaverse Standards
Forum (MSF) 3D Interoperability on the Web.

*	SIGGRAPH 2023, Los Angeles, 6-10 August
*	https://s2023.siggraph.org

Pioneers meeting Tuesday meeting

*	Web3D 2023 Conference, Vicomtech San Sebastian Spain, 9-11 October
*	https://web3d.siggraph.org

Web3D Conference

*	Web3D 2023, Vicomtech San Sebastian Spain, 9-11 October 2023
*	The 28th International Conference on 3D Web Technology
*	https://web3d.siggraph.org
*	Call for Papers: Towards interconnectivity of Metaverses
*	https://web3d.siggraph.org/cfp

6.	Wikipedia X3D

Next week we plan to continue group review and improvement of the X3D page
on Wikipedia, likely applying some touchups.  Thanks for all issues and
insights.  Nicholas is leading this effort.

*	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3D
*
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Anmbyz7gS_kNHtzHFhALlD9uDbz9Ta9W2Kcw79CM
BvY/edit

Progress continues.  We noted that the introduction immediately starts at a
highly technical level and stays there.  We need a simpler start that
explains to most people what X3D is used for, and why they should use it.
For example,
- X3D is a scene-graph description language that integrates network-enabled
3D graphics and multimedia.  X3D design supports 3D models as Web pages and
includes similarities to HTML pages.
- X3D is open, royalty free, extensible, interoperable, and runs on all
platforms including laptops, tablets, phones, immersive headsets, and
large-scale CAVES.

Once the google doc is ready, we will apply the updates to Wikipedia.

So many people have contributed so much work on X3D 4.0 over the years, we
all benefit from their professional expertise and efforts.  From the schema
changelog files:

Contributors:

Henry Boccon-Gibod, Don Brutzman, John Carlson, Justin Couch, Leonard Daly,

Rick Goldberg, Alan Hudson, Michalis Kamburelis, HyoKwang Lee, Myeong Wong
Lee,

Rick Lentz, Vince Marchetti, Mike McCann, Christophe Mouton, Terry
Norbraten,

Marc Petit, Andreas Plesch, Nicholas Polys, Dick Puk, Peter Ryan, Holger
Seelig,

Keith Victor, Roy Walmsley, Joe D. Williams, Changhua Wu, Byounghyun Yoo,

Kwan Hee Yoo, and members of the X3D Working Group.

Have fun with X3D!  8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu
<mailto:brutzman at nps.edu>

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman