[x3d-public] Seed for a project

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 13 04:24:20 PDT 2023

Why concern about BVH?

-----Original Message-----
From: John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com>
Sent: Aug 12, 2023 7:48 PM
To: GPU Group <gpugroup at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [x3d-public] Seed for a project

I guess the best way to do the translations and rotations in BVH is from the root to the extremities?  Get segments close to root, then work down the tree.

What about multiple parents in the DAG?  How is this resolved?  As separate children?

I’m pretty sure BVH is a tree?  Anyone know?

John

On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 12:00 PM GPU Group <gpugroup at gmail.com (mailto:gpugroup at gmail.com)> wrote:
> 1) provide a way to convert X3D nodes and ROUTEs to BVH with animation.  This will require converting routes/segments over time to translations and rotations. Help is requested.
One fuzzy idea: use the nodes and routes to animate, and capture the animation at a choke point in the web3d browser. A good choke point is where the browser applies BVH animations to the HAnim. In freewrl there are a few spots where it calls update_jointMatrixFromMotion() and in theory there could be another call there update_MotionFromJointMatrix() which goes the other way, converting a joint matrix into a bvh motion for recording to a file, with frame timestamp.

On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 10:14 AM John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com (mailto:yottzumm at gmail.com)> wrote:

Here's the seed for a Java (possibly X3D-Edit) project. A graph/grid editor.

https://github.com/coderextreme/impact.dir/tree/master/impactVL

I was thinking of adding:

 JSON/XML/VRML/BVH/MediaPipeHolistic/JavaSerialized/OpenUSD  I/O, beyond native.

There seems to be a slight issue with input right now, at least with the sort* input files in Impact.java

Make a copy of a file externally before modifying in the tool, there's no way to save to another file currently in Impact.java.

The goals are:

1) provide a way to convert X3D nodes and ROUTEs to BVH with animation.  This will require converting routes/segments over time to translations and rotations. Help is requested.

2) provide a way to visualize ROUTEs with Java (anyone else have something?)

3)  provide different naming convention for different I/O

4) take input from MediaPipe Holistic (Python) and convert to BVH.

5) provide a way to debug X3D events in Java.

There are already 2 different visualizations. I hope to add more.  One (Cell4x4) is based on Jed Donnelly's graphics (see images folder) scanned from his Impact project (hence the name). I would like to use this with permission, but I haven't heard from him.  The Java is mine, based on his original idea (not his or other's code).

Note that I haven't tested the Cell.java program much recently.  Impact.java is what Jed called the "Flow" or "Floweth" language, but his idea was to create a textual language.  But a challenge is making the 2 visualizations to work together.  The textual language will be implemented in X3D/BVH. I don't have a reason to create a new language, nor do I want to.

Note that I already have the idea for "Inlines" or expanding nodes into another window.  I'm not sure how well it's implemented.  I'm not sure about I/O of nested nodes right now.

This seems like a lot of fun, and maybe even useful, as opposed to X3D JSON.

Ant and Makefiles provided.  Not gradle. Too many garbage files to worry about iwith gradle--I'm not sure why they have all of them. If someone wants to provide maven or gradle, that would be cool. Ant is okay in Git for Windows.  If I have to fall back to Makefiles, I can use Cygwin.

Any problems, file an issue with https://github.com/coderextreme/impact.dir/issues.  There's one waiting for you to close, Jed.