[x3d-public] BVHacker, HAnim transformation, TypeScript SAI?

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 02:09:50 PDT 2023

I would like to create a way to "render" HAnim animations/transformations
to one or more X3D encodings, in particular, I would like to do this in a
headless manner (no screen involved). In particular, I would like to solve
the problem of moving the humanoid between different poses and saving them
off. I realize that many animation tools probably already do this. I know
that SFMatrix and MFMatrix SAI can do matrix multiplication (no
quaternions??) and that may be important.  But more important is
making skins and skeletons from different systems to work together. Doug
recommended BVHacker, bvhacker - home <https://bvhacker.com/>.

I would use X3DOM or X_ITE if I could separate the rendering, X_ITE has
Browser.toJSONString(), which I may experiment a bit with, and I want to
address the skin and the skeleton separately, like rotating the skin 180
degrees, but not the skeleton.  Something like x3d-tidy or tovrmlx3d might
be used to "animate" the humanoid.  That's up to those authors.

So I think a bit about using XSLT and creating a TypeScript SAI.  I would
likely modify the X3DJSAIL XSLT that takes the X3DUOM and produces
X3DJSAIL, Python doesn't have a way to import any encoding that I know of
(no createX3D...). X3DJSAIL has X3DLoaderDOM.java, which will allow me to
import JSON as DOM which lets me use X3DJSONLD (I hope this
works, otherwise I'll be riding the XML bandwagon!). C/C++/C# SAI looks
like an empty shell (I realize there may be some DLLs).

I choose not to modify the X3DJSAIL codebase beyond the stylesheet.  I'm
not going there.  But my changes might be backported to Java.  I will
attempt to use the SaxonJS product, if it is good enough, to be able to use
x3dTo...xslt in the program. X3DJSAIL offers everything that I know I need
except for applying transforms to centers.

I chose TypeScript over JavaScript/ECMAScript because I feel the former is
closer to Java than the latter two.

No, I'm not going to read the SAI standard. I have to learn TypeScript.

If anyone knows a way to easily design XSLT (Something like XSLbyDemo), let
me know...XMLSpy?