[x3d-public] Problem constructing Mobius strip by extrusion of rectangular cross-section

Anthony Judge anthony.judge at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 22:38:29 PDT 2023

I have a working model of a Mobius strip, but it uses Indexed Faceset
which I cannot manipulate as I had hoped to do. Basically I want to
extend the edges of the strip, possibly dynamically.

So as an alternative I extruded a thin rectangular cross-section along
a circular spine, but modifying the orientation of each element along
the spine through 180 degrees.

This gives a correct result, except that the ends do not meet
correctly -- the end is offset because it is rotated around the spine.
This is apparent if I change the orientation through 360 degrees, when
the ends do connect correctly -- but I have two twists in the strip,
which is not what I need for a Mobius strip

I can provide snippets of this simple issue and I can understand how
the issue is created by using the spine/orientation combination with
the extrusion.

Any comments/help?

Tony

--