[x3d-public] X3D working group meeting: charter review for 2024

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Dec 1 08:54:34 PST 2023

I hope that everyone is well.

Topic for X3D weekly working group meeting:  review and improve our charter
for 2024.

*	X3D Graphics Working Group
*	The X3D Graphics Working Group addresses all X3D specification
issues and coordinates the technical development of future improvements.
*	https://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d

It has been a great year for Web3D capabilities!  We have made a lot of
significant progress, advancing the X3D 4.0 Architecture and also HAnim 2.0
specifications.

Am thinking we need clear top-level goals to motivate best possible
influence and impact in the coming year.  Suggested:

a.	Specifications.  Update, review, implement and advance all
corresponding X3D specifications for file encodings and language encodings,
continuing rigorous attention to detail through Web3D Consortium, US INCITS
H3, and ISO/IEC standards development organizations (SDOs).
b.	Implementations.  Provide a technical forum to encourage the
greatest possible development for compliant X3D4 applications, tools and
converters.  Pay special attention to Humanoid Animation (HAnim), glTF
import, Web Audio nodes, and other new X3D 4.0 features.
c.	Publication.  Demonstrate how X3D can make 3D Graphics part of the
modern Web by integrating with key infrastructure such as Web3D Conference
series, Wikipedia, and other major resources.
d.	Innovation.  Show how Extensibility mechanisms for X3D can implement
new capabilities in a standards-compatible way.
e.	Metaverse.  Support 3D Web Interoperability Domain Group at
Metaverse Standards Forum (MSF) by implementing use cases and providing
feedback on successes and next-step goals.

We will discuss these today and next week as part of our regular weekly
meetings.  All inputs welcome.

*	X3D Working Group teleconference
*	Fridays, 09-1000 pacific
*
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
*	https://zoom.us/j/148206572  Password 483805
*	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

Have fun with X3D!  8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman