[x3d-public] [x3d] X3D working group meeting: charter review for 2024

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Dec 1 10:40:32 PST 2023

Thanks for excellent suggestions.  3 responses from me:

*	Past.  We did our level best to follow all Web3D policies and procedures, integrating much public/private comment, well documented in X3D email archive and Mantis issue tracker. I think we succeeded, again proving that the process is effective, and again thank everyone (including yourself) who contributed to the successful completion of X3D 4.0.

*	Present, 2024.  We will not be pursuing X3D Architecture specification improvements since there is much capability in 4.0 already that deserves broader implementation and exposure.  Meanwhile we will encourage Innovation by emphasizing X3D extensibility mechanisms:  Inline, Script, Prototype, software libraries supporting source-code implementations that generate X3D, etc. etc.  Those nodes that rise to the level of broad usefulness can be considered as Web3D Recommended Practice.

*	Future, 2025+.  Once all of the corresponding X3D specifications have been updated to match X3D 4.0 architecture, consideration of future specification revision will be possible.

*	X3D Graphics Standards Relationships
*	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dGraphicsStandardsRelationships.png

The doors remain open.  The x3d-public at web3d.org <mailto:x3d-public at web3d.org>  mailing list will remain our primary path for sharing new ideas.  The x3d at web3d.org <mailto:x3d at web3d.org>  mailing list is always available as well for Web3D Consortium members who want to share and discuss ideas privately and confidentially.

Detailed process requirements are all approved by Web3D Board of Directors and published online.  Primary documents:

*	Web3D Standards Adoption Process
*	https://www.web3d.org/standards/adoption-process

*	Web3D Contribution Submission Guidelines
*	https://www.web3d.org/standards/contribution-guidelines

*	Join Web3D Consortium
*	https://www.web3d.org/join
*	“Web3D Consortium members agree to follow the rules, policies, and restrictions as specified in the following documents:”

*	By-Laws
*	Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy
*	Member Agreement

As ever, we work by consensus.  When good ideas are fully ready, consensus is usually pretty easy to assess.  For example, am guessing one of our first trial nodes for Web3D Consortium Recommended Practice will be ImageAtlas, since it seems pretty mature but did not meet all of the necessary thresholds for specification prose, multiple implementations, example models and evaluation.

Seems like all of your good ideas here make sense for potential work in 2024 as well.  Onward we go.

Again thanks for your many contributions, Doug.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman