[x3d-public] CALL FOR: HAnim Level of Detail and other speed optimizations

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 14:43:31 PST 2023

https://freewrl.sourceforge.io/tests/26_Humanoid_Animation/BoxManMotionOrientation_selector.x3d
https://freewrl.sourceforge.io/tests/26_Humanoid_Animation/BoxmanMotionOrientation_selector.mp4

Example scene showing an
HAnimMotionOrientation node
- MFNode children [] field holds the Position- and OrientationInterpolator
nodes
- SFString joints "" holds the joint names corresponding to the
Interpolator nodes (If 2 interpolator nodes position and orientation for a
node, put its name twice in the joints list
The video shows 1 second transitioning between a regular HAnimMotion node
(standing pose) to the walking pose done with interpolators in a
HAnimMotionOrientation node
Benefits of new node type:
- small modification to orientationInterpolator workflow
- Motion nodes (are convenient for programmers to) support transitioning
between Motions*
- Motion nodes have loose coupling via name lookup (versus routes) so can
work with LOD whole Humanoid  swapping
It took 1 day to implement in freewrl.
-Doug
*Transitioning: the joint matrix is multiplied by 2 matrices, one from the
prior Motion and one from the new Motion. Each motion is partially
weighted, based on how far into the transition time the frame time is, and
in such a way the 2 weights sum to 1. The weight is applied to a convenient
scalar, for example the angle in the SFRotation or to an euler angle.