[x3d-public] SLERP or LERP

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 03:04:17 PDT 2023

"HAnimJoint.rotation" is SFRotation, and the only interpolators in X3D standard
to animate SFRotation are

1. OrientationInterpolator . This indeed does SLerp.

    Supported by pretty much all X3D browsers, used by a lot X3D
models to animate any rotations, also for "Transform.rotation".

2. SquadOrientationInterpolator. This does SQUAD interpolation.

    Less often used and implemented, from what I see. I actually
never saw a real-life (not testcase) model using
SquadOrientationInterpolator, and I don't know who supports it
(CGE/view3dscene do not).

Both of those interpolators can be used to animate any SFRotation,
including "HAnimJoint.rotation" or "Transform.rotation".

Regards,
Michalis