[x3d-public] Problem in x3dviewscene: ROUTE placement

Vincent Marchetti vmarchetti at kshell.com
Mon Jun 12 06:54:35 PDT 2023

Thank you for identifying the relevant seection of the X3D V4 Architecture. The relevant sentence from section 4.4.8.2 is:

ROUTE statements may either appear at the top level of an X3D file or inside a node wherever fields may appear.

It declares the intent of allowing a ROUTE statement inside a node definition in close proximity to a field that the ROUTE modifies, for purpose of readability, but other than that purpose  this placement of the ROUTE statement does not change the semantics of a ROUTE statement.  I don't think this sentence bears being taken literally to an extreme; otherwise we are obligated to define a additional XML encoding of the ROUTE statement which allows the ROUTE statement to be included as an XML attribute; so that, for example, it can be placed adjacent to the XML encoding of the SFVec3f "translation" field of the Transform element. I am not trying to argue by exaggeration;t I am argujng that the sentence need to be interpreted in accordance with the syntax of a specific encoding.

The ClassicVRML encoding does allow a ROUTE to be defined in the body of a X3D node; the specific issue we are discussing is whether this includes placing the ROUTE definition inside the ClassicVRML encoding of an MFNode value. We could have a continued discussion about whether inclusion as an item in a MFNode value is included in the text phrase "..wherever fields may appear", but we can also refer to the formal grammar definition of the ClassicVRML appendix which, in my judgement, does not allow that.

Taking a step back, and asuming that the JoeLevel2LOA3SSPYRWRJKHud.x3dv example was generated by a tool; we have one tool that generates an x3dv file which does not conform to the ClassicVRML formal geometry published in X3D V3.3 . If I understand Don's email report of June 9, the X3D conversion of the x3dv file passed validation, but this was not  direct validation of the original x3dv file. So I see the validation situation as:

1) The view3dscene code identifies the ClassicVRML error in JoeLevel2LOA3SSPYRWRJKHud.x3dv when asked to render it,'
2) The conversion code, from x3dv -> x3d, offered by view3dscene, does not flag an error in JoeLevel2LOA3SSPYRWRJKHud.x3dv but does generate a valid x3d scene from it,

In the example archives, we have not yet identified a ClassicVRML encoding that includes this very specific feature, a ROUTE statement included within an MFNode value of an X3D field, so it is not yet possible to use our example archive for guidance.

I think these considerations make it premature to change the ClassicVRML grammar definition in the standard.

Vince Marchetti