[x3d-public] problems with Saxon's xslt3 node module

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Jun 20 10:19:44 PDT 2023

Hi John.  Small update:  latest build is using Saxon 12.1, as shown in

*	(last release)https://www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/python/build.xml
*	(latest dev)   https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/python/build.xml
*	<property name="saxon.dir" location="../java/lib" description="relative path via stylesheets directory"/>
*	<property name="saxon.jar"           value="saxon-he-12.1.jar"/>
*	<!-- previously saxon-he-11.4.jar saxon-he-11.3.jar saxon-he-10.6.jar saxon9he.jar -->

I only use the saxon-he “Home Edition” xslt engines because they are open source and quite stable.  Tested version is included in our sourceforge build so that you don’t have to hunt around to get things to work.

Previous versions like 10.6  that you report using might still work, but am not locking our XSLT stylesheets into any single version, always trying to stay compliant for long-term reliability.  Further note that the saxon-he distribution has a dependency on three .jar files that are shipped with it (no longer internal) and so they have to be handled properly as well.

And looking online, Michael Kay and saxon team now have a version 12.2 and so will soon upgrade from 12.1 and test across multiple X3D projects/stylesheets.

*	https://github.com/Saxonica/Saxon-HE/tree/main/12/Java

Recommendation: saxon xslt3 is untested and not a part of our current XSLT version 2 stylesheet development.  Use at your own risk, experience has shown that changing XSLT versions can be a major upgrade and change.  Since we don’t need any XSLT3 functionality currently, with a long TODO list getting whittled down, that change won’t happen for X3D4 stylesheets anytime soon.

Have fun with stable X3D!  8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman