[x3d-public] X3D working group agenda 5 May 2023: conference plans, X3D4 definitions in X3DUOM, CORS, Wikipedia X3D

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri May 5 02:01:13 PDT 2023

Here is our agenda for this week - steady progress in multiple directions.
All participation welcome.

0.	Participation.  The X3D Working Group meets weekly on Fridays
09-1000 Pacific on Web3D Consortium zoom channel.  Telcon information:

*
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09
*	https://zoom.us/j/148206572  Password 483805
*	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

1.	X3D 2023 goals.  Our primary activities for X3D Working Group in
2023 are focused on broad and correct deployment.

a.	Encourage consistent rendering, interaction and usage for the many
tremendous capabilities in X3D4.
b.	Update ISO specifications and implementations for multiple
programming languages and file encodings to match X3D4.

2.	SIGGRAPH 2023 and Web3D 2023 conference planning updates

Continuing discussion on activities, dates, times, participation, and plans.

*	SIGGRAPH 2023, Los Angeles, 6-10 August
*	https://s2023.siggraph.org

*	Web3D 2023 Conference, Vicomtech San Sebastian Spain, 9-11 October
*	https://web3d.siggraph.org

3.	Related working group efforts.  Multiple excellent activities
continue progressing.  We'll briefly discuss overlapping efforts and any
support needed by X3D group.

a.	3D Web Interoperability exploratory group, Metaverse Standards Forum
)MSF).
b.	Humanoid Animation (HAnim) and apparel modeling.

4.	X3D4 definitions in X3DUOM.  The Metaverse Standards Registry (MSR)
group at MSF is looking at terminology.  This has positive potential for
clarity, interoperability, and semantic modeling.

Am thinking that we might do well to integrate X3D 4.0 glossary of
definitions as part of X3DUOM.  We will briefly discuss.

*	X3D 4.0 Architecture
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-IS.proof

*	 X3D 4.0, Clause 3  Definitions, acronyms, and abbreviated terms
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-IS.proof/Pa
rt01/glossary.html

*	X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM)
*	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DUOM.html
*	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dUnifiedObjectModel-4.0.xml

5.	Cross Origin Resource Sharing (CORS)

Recent discussion on public email lists has shown very interesting abilities
to edit X3D scenes within a browser, independently implemented by X3DOM and
X_ITE.  Impressive examples for X_ITE and X3DOM are available, thanks to
Holger Seelig and Andreas Plesch for tremendous results.  Example:

*
https://create3000.github.io/x_ite/playground/?url=https://corsproxy.io/?htt
ps://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/ConformanceNist/Geometry/IndexedLine
Set/coordIndex_colorCanonical.xml

Some helpful information references are available on our hints page, more
are welcome.

*	X3D Scene Authoring Hints: CORS
*
https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dSceneAuthoringHints.html#CORS

This was first considered quite some time ago but never completed.
Hopefully this can be achieved in the near future, it is powerful.

*	[x3d-public] X3D minutes 24 April 2020: Cross-origin resource
sharing (CORS)
*
https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2020-April/012364.html

If we can get CORS support on web3d.org with reliable url patterns
respectively for X_ITE and X3DOM invocation test sites, I'll be happy to add
a pair of customized corresponding links to each index page for 4000+ models
in the.

*	X3D Example Archives
*
https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples

Incidentally all versions of all files have recently been updated in .x3d,
.x3dv, .wrl, .java, .json, .py python, HTML documentation, X3DOM HTML5,
X_ITE HTML5, and .ttl Turtle for Semantic Web.   Am continuing deployment
testing of all open-source Web3D tools and configuration scripts.

6.	Wikipedia X3D. Should participation permit, we will continue careful
group review and improvement of the X3D page on Wikipedia, Nicholas leading.
Thanks for all issues and insights.

*	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X3D
*
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Anmbyz7gS_kNHtzHFhALlD9uDbz9Ta9W2Kcw79CM
BvY/edit

Have fun with X3D!  8)

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman