[x3d-public] Where to allow ROUTE in X3D models? Deep-dive analysis

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Nov 6 16:30:46 PST 2023

Interesting discussion.  Thinking about it, I realized that the ambiguity leading to combinatoric explosion in the XML content models was by treating ROUTE as equally any-order like other children nodes.

However, for problematic content models associated with Shape and Appearance, difficulties go away if we limit the appearance of zero-or-more ROUTE statements following all contained-node statements.

Have spot-checked X3D DOCTYPE, so far adding ROUTE* satisfactorily with MetadataSet, Shape, Appearance, IFS, ILS, StaticGroup, Text, TextureBackground, MultiTextureTransform.  Also various triangle nodes, Viewpoint (which can contain NavigationInfo in X3D 4.0).  No doubt some more nodes are out there too.  So far so good – but not the whole story for XML…

Spot check of X3D XML Schema is a bit trickier, but often seems to work… worth further efforts at least.

Am not putting it “inside” of the vast majority of nodes that have no other content model besides IS/connect and metadata.

I will defer any further work on this until we get X3DUOM fully up to speed again.

Definitely a promising possibility.  Any progress we make in X3D XML Schema will ripple through to X3DUOM and then X3DJSAIL/X3DPSAIL x3d.py, eventually minimizing any necessary differences between encodings and language bindings.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman