[x3d-public] CALL FOR: HAnim Level of Detail and other speed optimizations

GPU Group gpugroup at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 06:50:44 PST 2023

Summary so far:
3 methods of animation
A  OrientationInterpolator with routing to Joints (mature), benefits:
- good for direct joint control
B. Motion - (mature), benefits:
- convenient changing of macro-motion via Humanoid motionsEnabled field
(mature)
- soft-coupling of animation data from Joint nodes via name-lookup,
allowing different LOA of skeleton and animation data (mature)
- possible convenient transition blending of motions such as walk/stand
(tested (1))
- possible motion adding, replacing, weighted-blending (untested)
- possible to reserve initial Joint.rotations for aligning IPose skeleton
with APose skin (untested)
- (Q. could A. OrientationInterpolator method also reserve Joint.rotations
for skeleton-skin alignment? (untested))
C. hybrid via proposed MotionOrientation node (untested), benefits:
- same benefits as B
- same benefits as A

2 Methods of LOD Level of Detail
1. 2-level skin-segment - continuous skin used for close range, segments
used for far range (untested)
Benefits:
- no or minor changes to node specs to inform Humanoid of level change, so
it can toggle skin and segment rendering (untested)
- works with animation methods A,B,C (untested)
Disbenefits:
- limited to 2 levels (unless additional filters applied and multiple
segments perhaps in Switch nodes, untested)
- limited to same skeleton for both levels
- extra modeling work generating segmented skin from contiguous skin

2. multi-level contiguous skin (all untested)
Benefits:
- multiple levels of detail
- each level can have a different LOA skeleton and skin
- skins are contiguous
Disbenefits:
- requires new node type HumanoidLOD or major extensions to Humanoid
- works only with animation types B, C

-Doug

(1) Transition blending with Motions
Humanoid transitionTime='1.0' means a one second weighted transition
between 2 motions (walking and standing) as motionsEnabled are changed:
https://freewrl.sourceforge.io/tests/26_Humanoid_Animation/BoxmanBVH_selector.mp4