[x3d-public] ANARI+x3d = standard x3d raytracing?

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Nov 28 08:48:13 PST 2023

Hi Doug.  Thanks for sharing this idea about BVhacker.

*	https://bvhacker.com

Not understanding “don't think x3d.py is useful as a scene graph” since it is simply a pure python library for creating valid X3D scene graphs.

No one as reported looking at Khronos ANARI with respect to X3D.

*	Anari Cross-Platform 3D Rendering Engine API
*	ANARI significantly simplifies the development of applications in domains such as scientific visualization by providing high-level functionality to build an in-memory scene representation to be rendered without need for low-level graphics code, and enabling the use of any 3D rendering engine that supports the ANARI API. ANARI has already been widely integrated into scientific visualization applications, and is expected to be used by diverse applications needing portable access to multiple rendering engines delivering sophisticated 3D functionality such as ray tracing and global illumination.
*	https://www.khronos.org/anari

Hopefully there will be an update to x3d.py sometime in December addressing some noted issues – our recently updated X3DUOM helps.  The emails about x3d.py (and also Blender) are so scattered that it is hard to tell what is going on, am bracing for a long period of spelunking when the time comes.

If there is anything in particular that x3d.py might do to complement your efforts, perhaps helping with a potential adaptation of bvhacker functionality, all issues/examples/insights will be welcome.

Have fun with X3D!

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman