[x3d-public] FBX to X3D

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 09:16:57 PDT 2023

One way I know is to convert FBX to glTF using
https://github.com/godotengine/FBX2glTF .

Then convert glTF to X3D, e.g. using CGE/view3dscene or X_ITE.

Indeed it's a double-conversion, two points where things can get lost
/ wrong. But I don't think we have a more direct approach at this
point if you want to get X3D in the end.

FBX2glTF is developed by the Godot game engine devs,
https://godotengine.org/fbx-import/ . I fully second their notion is
the documentation to *avoid using FBX as much as you can*, it's a
closed format. All open standards (X3D, glTF, USD...) are really
better. But sometimes we don't have a choice, which I guess is also
why you ask :)

Other ways: use https://github.com/facebookincubator/FBX2glTF (no
longer maintained actively, Godot fork is more active) or using
https://github.com/assimp/assimp . They also offer FBX -> glTF at
best, so you'd still need 2nd conversion glTF -> X3D.

Regards,
Michalis