[x3d-public] Technical-Specification-Portable-Avatar-Format-MPAI-PAF-V1

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 24 10:45:59 PDT 2024

> I’ve already suggested that “on the floor between the feet” is not precise enough, in my mind, and I suggest the x location on the floor:  between ankles,  knees, hips, between any left, right pair of foot joints, or at the x location of a backbone joint  or the sacroiliac.

On the floor between the feet is a fairly constant starting point to base all other measurements of the skeleton.
Any other location is variable, like basing somewhere else, like anywhere else means measurements are relative to some point that will vary lots from skeleton to skeleton.
Between the feet on the floor is a constant where all features then have a x 0 z (y always positive value.
Notice the the document now says to reference it somewhere else, like another joint, but that means a variable reference and thus less transport between skeletons.
0 0 0 should be on the floor and between the feet is as good a location as any and bound to be better relationship between measurements of other skeletons than referencing it to some point that is variable between models.
If not 0 0 0 then, for instance there will not be an obvious height value, and if not approximately in the center of the model, then animation gets hard fast.  Can't really compare skeleton dimensions unless the reference value is at the floor and approximately centered in x y z. Hard to compare skeletons and share animations if measurement reference is at a certain (variable) landmark (like a joint) (This was done when Root was not used and some made 0 0 0 at some joint.)

Thanks and Best,
Joe

Thanks,
Joe