[x3d-public] Jinloa4 scaled with loa4 animation

Joe D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 25 19:26:36 PDT 2024

Hi All,
With the ideas of Ted Nelson in mind,we want to provide a connected history of our works and dreams for the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3mptA5sZTM
Ted Nelson -- Vannevar Bush Symposium 1995

Yes, truly a madman.

Recently we decided to improve the trail by making the jinloa4 model into a truly 'Standard' example of a nice Level 1 Humanoid. The only deviation from 'Standard' is that it was drawn approx. 44:1. meaning the skeleton and geometry was drawn other than 1:1 in meters to match the specified default Humanoid size. As a result, in order to fit the model into 'Standard' Humanoid space, it needs at least a scale operation.

Original jinloa4 example:
https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/HumanoidAnimation/Characters/JinLOA4Index.html

For the original, the Humanoid node scale parameter is used and that works fine to make it the right size because the browser can handle the scale, but as you might predict, 'Standard' animations, those defined for a "Standard' Humanoid, may have problems.

This is important because the Fundamental and Most Important Goal of X3D HAnim is to allow 'Standard' Humanoid models to leverage 'Standard' Humanoid animations. That is, if the model is built using 'Standard' HAnim hierarchy, default pose, and reasonable limb length relationships, then 'Standard' animations should work. Animations are the most labor intensive part of this, so it makes deep sense to try and reuse animations.

So, looking at jinloa4, as mentioned the original jinloa4 skeleton is dimensioned about 44 to1. This is fairly easy, just do what he browser would have to do and scale the joint center locations to 1:1. Next, the geometry is drawn in a location then Transformed to the joint center. Again, this is fairly straightforward work the browser does when loading so we just scaled the geometry to 1:1 then moved the points to the correct location, just like the browser would have to do. We end up with the jinloa4rescaled file that is attached.

Notice that when you load and run the the model it starts off doing a "Kick" animation. Select other animations to see other motions. Pitch, Yaw, and Roll joints and Walk and Run and Jump and Kick.
Now look at the user code, down past the skeleton and geometry and please notice the "Stop" animation code. To my knowledge this is the only complete set of loa4 Interpolators, Routes from Timer to Interpolator, and Routes from Interpolator to Joint.

(Right now, the Stop animation is actually hooked up to the "Default" button,so"Default" is really a Test action.)

Go ahead and edit the code, for example change the Interpolator values for this Joint:
  Stop_vl5_RotationInterpolator'     where vl5 is the first from the bottom vertebrae.
From:
  key='0 0.5 1' keyValue='0 0 1 0, 0 0 1 0, 0 0 1 0'/>
To:
  key='0 0.5 1' keyValue='0 0 1 0, 1 0 0 1, 0 0 1 0'/>
Now reload the scene and press "Default" and Jin will do a gentle bow.

One lesson is this you can really see how to animate "standard" models. If you sit on the Joint, facing +z, then the four interpolator key values x y z scale (0 0 1 0 is default) make it simple because x-axis is Pitch, y-axis is Yaw, and z-axis is Roll. We use right-hand rule, so with thumb aimed positive direction along an axis a positive key value rotates the axis CCW.
So in the above example, the middle keyvalue gives 1 radian of rotation or the x-axis, giving jin that forward rotation at the waist.
Give that same value to a shoulder joint.

Anyway, I hope we can do more with this one. Mainly work out the other animations which were  originally set up for a V1 loa3 (joekick skeleton).

Thanks to All for All the Fun with HAnim,
Joe
.

:

.