[medical-public] NSF RFI: Action on interoperability of Medical Devices, Data and Platforms to enhance patient care

Davera Gabriel davera.gabriel at duke.edu
Sat Mar 9 07:41:10 PST 2019

Hello Web3D Medical Working Group, Drs Hammond and Kopper:

The following RFI from the NITRD and NSF came across my radar yesterday.

https://www.nitrd.gov/news/RFI-action-on-interoperability-of-medical-devices-data-and-platforms.aspx

Overnight, it occurred to me that Web3D could have some 'skin' in this activity, particularly in light of efforts to harmonize with HL7.  Whereas the notice mostly seems to seek input from more traditional healthcare providers and groups working in more traditional healthcare venues, there are groups whose focus are mobile devices and sensors that I know are keen to respond and gain involvement in the conference cited by this announcement.  Additionally, the verbiage of the RFI recognizes that coordination of care delivery occurs across many venues outside these traditional settings and thus coordinating and normalizing the data generated from devices and sensors agnostic to the setting of use is the aim of the whole.  Because X3D addresses many nascent applications and thus benefits to health promotion and care delivery, this may be an excellent opportunity to create awareness for the utility of these as-of-yet unrealized benefits and promote inclusionary language in future funding opportunities.

In review of the announcement, the following is where I see an opportunity for Web3D to respond:

1)      The overview section refers to the need for interoperability to support "closed loop, autonomous and semi-autonomous" systems in order to  "decrease medical errors and reduce provider burden... across healthcare facilities"  An important component of the HL7 FHIR integration will be to enable current (GIS, 3D print, VR) technologies to be integrated in interoperable data exchange, and future (H-Anim, advanced visualization, AR/MR) care delivery and research applications.

2)      The bulk of the future vision section in the RFI addresses a need for medical devices to emulate "industrial controls and autonomous systems in the automotive, aviation and energy sectors"  Whereas I am personally naïve of what these systems are in cited industries and how they work, I have the impression that the Web3D constituency, both within and outside of the Medical Working Group have a deep understanding of not only what those systems are, but how X3D supports data conformity and persistence and other attributes within these systems or at a minimum the handshakes between components that support these processes.

3)      The RFI cites "provider burden" and "burnout" as confounders to the issue it aims to address.  It is my impression that one of the great benefits of the 3D rendering modalities supported by X3D is a reduction of cognitive load to clinicians and researchers (possibly patients or caregivers?) who have tasks requiring the use of "big data."  A good example of this kind of (yet unrealized) thinking is in the big annual NSF program now underway aimed at supporting the workforce of the future.  They have funded one or more medical use cases so far in each year of the program.  This additionally could be an opportunity to enlighten individuals in the broader Agency to the benefits of a future application from this group.

Given there is a focused, perhaps niche set of benefits X3D can offer, I am wondering if there might be a short response developed which could result in an invitation to the conference cited and more inclusive language in future funding announcements.  Could you please share with me you thoughts?

Many thanks for your time and attention, and please let me know of you have any questions.

Best,

Davera Gabriel, RN
Research Informaticist
Clinical Research Informatics
Duke Clinical Research Institute
     From Thought Leadership to Clinical Practice
300 W. Morgan St.
Durham, NC 27701
office:  530-723-8356
davera.gabriel at duke.edu<mailto:davera.gabriel at duke.edu>
www.dcri.org<http://www.dcri.org/>

"Few are those that see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts." - Albert Einstein