[X3D-Public] Fwd: OnLive One Step Closer [ death of 3D web? ]

GLG info at 3dnetproductions.com
Thu Dec 31 17:11:04 PST 2009

Hello John,

I do not see how or why this would threaten X3D in any way
shape or form. They are promoting processing centers where
specialty CPUs and software run games online, which are then
delivered to phones and PCs used as tin client devices via
high-loss but rapid video compression technology.  They then
add IP Multicasting to allow the games to be seen (but not
played) in a higher quality video stream by a large number
of viewers. Most are single player games while support for 2
to 4 players is said to be available. Looks to me like the
intent is more to change the business model where game
publishers sell games on DVDs to a new paradigm where the
games would be sold (and played) online. This is similar to
what we are seeing with the music and movie industries. They
do not make any claim to that effect and the system doesn't
even close to touch X3D technically (it would actually
crumble under the weight of a true MMO - massively
multiplayer online game).

Lauren

 * * Interactive Multimedia - Internet Management * *
  * * Virtual Reality - Application Programming  * *
   * 3D Net Productions  www.3dnetproductions.com *