[X3D-Public] X3D Working Group Open Discussion Policy

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 13:35:32 PDT 2010

Don Brutzman wrote:
> X3D Working Group goes Open:
> Comments and discussion are welcome of course, especially since we
> are open!

This is great news, so first of all - thank you :)

That said, I would like to see this idea going a little further:

1. Make the bugtracker of the specification issues open to the public
(I recall that you use Mantis?).

I definitely prefer a bugtracker over a simple Spec Feedback Form (on
http://web3d.org/x3d/specifications/spec_feedback/ ). I recall
submitting 6 comments about NURBS component and 2 comments about
IMPORT/EXPORT through the feedback form, but there was no way for me to
see how these issues are handled, whether they discussed, or already
fixed in the next specification version, or send to /dev/null etc. :) If
I could instead submit the bugreports to Mantis, then we would have a
nice public place for discussing the reports, you would be able to
notify me if/how the problems are fixed and such.

2. And another suggestion: open the conformance tests on
http://www.web3d.org/x3d/conformance/ .

It would be cool if everyone could view the official tests (maybe at
least some of them?) for free. If I would then see that e.g. my
implementation is getting close to passing the tests, I would for sure
be eager to pay the fee and go through the Conformance Test Process :)

Thanks,
and thanks to everyone at Web3D 2010, it was really great :),
Michalis